Alaska Recreation and Park Association
Skip to nav
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor Course
Lifeguarding Instructor Course
($50 off at check-out for early registration ends Sept. 25th, 2022)
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach the basic-level American Red Cross Lifeguarding course.
• Be at least 17 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
• Possess a current basic-level certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED.
• Successfully complete the online Introduction to the Lifeguarding Instructor Course prior to the precourse skills session via the class roster and online content completion status report.
• Obtain all instructor and participant materials before entering the first session of the instructor course.
• Exhibit the characteristics required of an American Red Cross representative and role model.
• Follow the directives and procedures related to the conduct and administration of American Red Cross courses, including the Instructor Agreement and Instructor Code of Conduct.
• Conduct courses in a manner that helps participants to stay engaged in the learning process and meet course objectives.
• Perform applicable Lifeguarding skills to the standard at instructor-level skill proficiency.
• Plan for and ensure participants health and safety during training.
• Maintain complete and accurate records and reports.
• Plan, organize and conduct the Lifeguarding courses in accordance with Red Cross policies and procedures and the requirements of the specific course they will be teaching.
• Monitor participants’ practice, evaluate performance and provide corrective feedback and encouragement that is consistent with the skill assessment tools.
• Recognize that the requirements in the skill assessment tools are criteria for ascertaining the proficiency of a participant performance.
• Effectively use program materials and training equipment for the online prerequisite, precourse skills session and classroom component.
2 | Lifeguarding Instructor Course Fact Sheet
• Explain procedures for acknowledging course completion and accessing American Red Cross digital certificates.
• Deliver quality, consistent and standardized content by following the Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual.
The Lifeguarding Instructor Course is offered in a blended learning format that includes:
• The online session for the instructor course takes approximately 2 hours.
• The classroom sessions are designed to be taught in approximately 21 hours and 45 minutes (including the precourse session).
Instructors must hold a Lifeguarding instructor trainer certificate in order to teach the Lifeguarding Instructor Course. Specific information on eligibility and instructions on how to receive a Lifeguarding Instructor Trainer certification can be found on the Red Cross Learning Center.
Participants who successfully complete the Lifeguarding instructor course will be issued a Lifeguarding Instructor certification that is valid for two years.
Lifeguarding Instructor Candidates should obtain and review the following course materials prior to attending the Lifeguarding Instructor Course:
• American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual for Instructor-Led Training
• American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual for Blended Learning
• American Red Cross Lifeguarding Participant’s Manual
• American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course videos, available on the Course Presentation, DVD or video segments on the Red Cross Learning Center.
Digital materials are available on the Lifeguarding Instructor Candidate’s page of the Red Cross Learning Center (https://www.redcrosslearningcenter.org/s/candidate-lifeguarding). Print materials are available for purchase on the Red Cross Store (redcross.org/store).